A war memorial dedicated to the fallen of the former Congregational Mission on Kelsall Street in Sale has been relocated to St. Paul’s Church on Springfield Road at a moving service of Evensong.
The former mission hall, which was sold to Sale Evangelical Church in 1938, closed its doors for the final time in 2016, prior to its demolition and redevelopment as a residential site.
Over 180 local residents, including former members of the Evangelical Church and members of other churches in Sale, packed into St Paul’s church to see the rededication of the memorial by the Vicar of St. Paul’s, Rev. Barbara Sharp.
The Mayor & Mayoress of Trafford, Councillor Jonathan Coupe & Mrs Diane Coupe, were in attendance, and the congregation heard the histories of the men named on the memorial, most of whom lived in the streets around Kelsall Street.
Churchwarden of St Paul’s and Chairman of Sale Civic Society, Rob Chilton, commented: “We were delighted to be asked to find a new home for the Evangelical Church war memorial, and were doubly gratified by the huge support shown by local people at the rededication service. We owe many thanks to Michael Riley of Churches Together in Sale, and all those who worked so hard to make this moving occasion possible.”