Schools

Latest: Bomb threat LAST NIGHT closed Springfield Primary today – Police have now given the all clear

By Barbara Metcalfe at

A bomb threat was the reason one of Sale’s largest primary schools was closed today.   Parents at the school,  which has around 500 pupils ranging from three to 11-years-old, were told via text to collect their children, shortly after they had arrived at school this morning.

They were told children who could not be picked up would be taken to a nearby morning club where they would be kept in safety until collection was arranged.  Throughout the morning parents had been using social media to find out why their children were sent home but were told only that there was a police incident at the school.

Parents received text messages this morning

Parents received this message this morning

The School itself tweeted this morning that the school had to close but gave no other details.  Those tweets have now been removed.

In a statement to Sale Today this afternoon, GMP said:”Shortly after 8.45pm on Thursday 5 January 2017, police were called to a property on Springfield Road, Sale, to reports of a bomb threat.

“Following enquiries, it was established that there was no genuine threat. Teaching staff closed the school today, Friday 6 January 2017, as a precaution. ”

Earlier a spokesperson for the school said: “Police attended and had to close the school.   We texted parents and made phone calls to alert everyone.  The school should be open next Monday when normal service will be in operation.”